Saturday, December 8, 2012

Overcoming What Seems to be Impossible

The Amputee QB
 
          After reading The New York Times Upfront magazine article "The Amputee QB" I realized even greater that anything is possible. On September 3, 2011, Jacob Rainey was playing in an average scrimmage as quarterback for Wooberry Forest High School. On a play Jacob decided to rush the ball himself, a tackler dived straight for his legs and rapped himself around Jacob's legs. Jacob tried to push himself for a few more yards and all of a sudden Jacob herd a pop from his right knee. " I just herd a pop, and the next thing I knew I was on the ground,"  Jacob  had dislocated his right leg at the knee and an artrery had been ruptured. This cut off the circulation to the lower part of his leg. Jacob's tissue in his leg was dieing rapidly and after multiple operations doctors had to amputate Rainey's right leg above knee right before his thigh. Many doctors and other athletes with prosthetic legs said that there was no way that Rainey would ever be able to play football again because prosthetic legs were only made to be able to run straight not run and move side to side like a quarterback is forced to run. But, Jacob Rainey was determined he would step on the football field and play again. Six months later Jacob meet for the first time with physical therapist David Lawrence, at the time Jacob could only walk. For months they worked on Jacob being comfortable with the leg and by July Jacob was ready to try his new leg on the football field. He did very well throwing but was still a little slow moving around. Jacob worked extremely hard until early September when his coach, Clinton Alexander decided Jacob would start in the first game of the 2012 season. On the first drive Jacob lead his team down the field to a touchdown in five plays that was the only time he played in the whole game but it was an amazing accomplishment. Now Jacob is working on playing more and more throughout the season. This one article opened my eyes, and filled myself with amazement. It made me feel like I could do anything or anyone could do anything. One connection I have with this story is in hockey, I have fractured my lower back and hip before, and I overcame those injuries and chose to keep playing hockey because I love the sport. Jacob did the same thing but at a extremely higher level. This story amazed me and made me feel anything is possible, what about you?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That was such a motivating story! I can"t imagine how he must have felt when he was told he couldn't play football anymore. I especially liked how you wrote about all of the milestones throughout his recovery.
    The response reminded me of Oscar Pistorius, an Olympic runner that I watched this summer. He was from South Africa and ran in the Olympics after loosing both of his legs when he was born. Both his and Jacob's stories were very inspirational!There was only one mistake I found, when it says "Jacob's tissue in his leg was dying rapidly and after multiple operations doctors had to amputate Rainey's right leg above knee" I think you're missing a "the" before knee. Other than that, it was an awesome response!

    Great Job Troy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy, I liked reading your post because you described the article so well to me that I thought I was reading the article in the Upfront magazine word for word. That stinks that you fractured your back, but it's great that you can still play hockey even with th injury. I hope to read many more great articles from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that it is quite amazing how someone can acomplish something like this without an essential body part!!!! Some people just know what they are meant to do and just go out and do it. :) Very inspirational! Great job on the pharagraph!!!

    ReplyDelete